A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross

5 posters

Go down

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross Empty A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross

Post by Kamav Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:39 pm

Hey there, clanmates! Afraid of the big blue wave? The thought of handling all those harpoonfish getting you down? No worries! I'm here to give you a guaranteed-success* guide to gaming Tempoross.

*Disclaimer, Evie Fae is not legally liable for any drowning, burning, drowning-and-burning, capsizing, death, or loss of tool or life that may occur from trying to wrestle the entire ocean.

First, let's start with a disclaimer. I'm kinda new to Tempoross myself. I have 20kc and a best time of 6:01. Nonetheless, I figured out my own little formula for victory by about 6kc, and have honed it into an almost-entirely-reliable thing over the following 14. And if you're scared of Tempoross, well hey, maybe this little ditty will get you splishing and a'splashing in a jiffy alongside me!

This guide also assumes you're using Runelite and have the Fishing helper enabled. I'm also writing from the perspective of a mid-50s fishing skill - adjust amounts of fish if you're far below or above me. This is also not a perfect guide, I make no claims of it being a perfect guide. I just think it might help people who're afraid of Tempoross get into the groove of it.

Let's get into it!

---

Part 1: The Setup

Tempoross is part-puzzle part-action, and not very AFKable unless you're really knowledgeable about what you're doing, and even then it's only AFKable for like... 10 seconds at a time. So setting up for success is the biggest part.

Your goal is to use harpoonfish to lower Tempoross' Energy, so you can harpoon away its Essence, disrupting it to make it flee. If Storm Intensity reaches 100%, you lose - but energy reaching 0% will drain Storm Intensity too.

I highly recommend you have at least 45 fishing, and either the Imcando Hammer or a Dragon Harpoon (that you can use). Having both would be very viable. Higher fishing skill / better harpoons increases your catching rate, making this guide all the more viable over time, and inventory management is the name of the game for keeping things flowing smoothly.

You'll want to remove and bank any and all wearable equipment, apart from anglers outfit, fishing capes, and either the Imcando Hammer or (ideally) a Dragon Harpoon. You'll be running a LOT, so weighted clothing is not ideal.

As for your inventory, you'll need the following:
A hammer (Imcando ideally)
A harpoon (Dragon or above ideally)
3 buckets of water
A small fishing net
A single rope
Your stack of spirit flakes, to tally your progress (and also make a later sequence easier to track).

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross 1HG6OH9
An ideal inventory and equipment setup. Below 60 fishing & attack, the hammer should be wielded instead, and an ordinary harpoon used. Highlighted in red are items that fires and waves can destroy.

All the above can be found in the instance itself, other than spirit flakes, but it pays to save time.

Bank anything and everything else. Once you get to Al Kharid and take the ferry to the Ruins of Unkah, bank whatever teleport you used to get there too (unless it's a weightless wearable).

Your inventory should now have seven slots filled and twenty-one slots available, if you're wielding either the Imcando Hammer or a Dragon Harpoon (If you can use a Dragon Harpoon, be wielding that always).

Once you arrive at your location by ferrying from Al Kharid (off to the side between Shantay Pass and the manor-y thing, by the shore), acquaint yourself with your environment. Know where the bank is, where the reward pool is, and where the big boat for Tempoross' island is. Then, get ready for your first round.

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross SgAKXpZ
Ruins of Unkah, docks. 1: Bank Chest. 2: Reward Pool. 3: Home Ferry. 4: Tempoross Boat.

The ship sets sail every 30 seconds from the end of the pier - *DON'T* board the ship if there's less than ten people on board, more will come along soon enough.

---

Part 2: The Surf

Once on board the ship, take time to refill your buckets from the pump available if needed, then wait for the timer to count down. Your screen will go briefly dark, before you're taken into the Tempoross instance. The timer has now started.

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross 6zQaH0V
Aboard the ship. 1: Water pump. 2: Ammunition crate/cannon. 3: Anchor line to shore. 4: Mast. 5: Spirit Pool. 6: Tempoross.

Be sure you're running and click onto the island as soon as the screen turns back from darkness. Locate the closest harpoonfish fishing spot, and click on it - it will have a blue outline. If you're holding a Dragon Harpoon, click your special attack while you're running to the spot.

You want to locate the cooking shrine while you're fishing, and be ready - once you've caught seven harpoonfish, click on it to start cooking them. Tempoross should now be just emerging.

Once all seven harpoonfish are cooked, look around for a GREEN harpoonfish fishing spot outline, which should be spawning right about now - if one isn't spawned yet, that's okay, click a blue one right away and keep looking while you're fishing. Once a green spot spawns, you want to be on it right away and fishing from that, instead.

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross Ye1EhUz
On the island. 1: Cooking Shrine. 2: A green/double fishing spot. 3: Tether totem. 4: A blue/ordinary fishing spot. 5: Pier to Tempoross spirit pool & water pump. 6: First Mate Peri, who leads you home after. 7: Anchor line to ship.

About midway through filling up your inventory, keep an eye on the chat box for a red line of text mentioning a 'colossal wave'. You have about five seconds to run to the totem pole and click on it to tether yourself to it. If you fail this, you will lose tools and fish - but you cannot lose an Imcando hammer or a dragon (or above) harpoon, hence their import. Your priority should be tethering yourself the moment this line comes up. The screen will go blue and wavy, but if you're tethered, you're fine.

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross K66aojno00p61
An image from player Daring Jove, showing off the 'colossal wave' warning message, and Tempoross' statistic bars.

If you tethered yourself correctly, you will automatically untether yourself once the blue screen fades. If the totem breaks on untether, click it for 150 free construction xp and about 30 contribution points.

Find and click a blue harpoonfish spot - if the green one is still there, it will be despawning very soon. Keep an eye on your 'Fishing' / 'Not Fishing' notifier in the top left to see if you're actually fishing from a spot - there's about a second delay before the harpoonfish spot actually fades once it dies, and your character will just keep fishing on empty seas for like, five or ten seconds.

Once your inventory is (almost) full, go back to the cooking shrine and cook more harpoonfish. The timing is pretty tight here, but you should be able to cook a fair amount of them before the next event happens.

Keep an eye on the chatbox again - when a 'strong wind' is mentioned, you'll see those stormclouds move in and dark spots form on the ground. Avoid those, but note them - lightning will strike there, making a fire, which destroys inexpensive tools similarly to the Tempoross ocean wave.

You want to hover over the dark spot closest to you, and the moment Runelite shows a 'Douse' interaction box (a split second before the fire actually forms), click it. You will put out the fire for some more contribution points, and this signals your time to shift from cooking to shooting.

Make your way back aboard the ship, and by the cannon closest to the anchor-line (if you shoot from more than 1x cannon per ship, Tempoross will most likely disable a cannon, it seems far more likely to do this than from 1x cannon), click on the ammunition box to begin filling it.

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross 300px-Tempoross_Zapped_Cannon
A disabled cannon will shock the nearby users. Image from OSRS Wiki.

If there's a fire in your way or beside the mast, douse it for more contribution points before this, but don't focus on out-of-the-way fires. You will begin inputting your harpoonfish, cooked first, into the box - which the sailor NPC will take and fire at Tempoross.

Pretty soon, Tempoross will make another wave event happen - be ready to tether to the main ship mast in the center of the ship when this happens!

When the wave event concludes, you should be close to out of fish. Refill your buckets from the pump opposite to the cannons (port-starboard) the moment you untether, and continue loading your fish in until you're out.

The moment your last fish goes in, go back down to the island and fish on the harpoonfish spot closest to Tempoross. They should alllllmost be out of energy - watch for the topmost bar going 0% and an emitting groan, but keep fishing until the second that happens.

Once that happens, you want to immediately run to the end of the little pier where a swirling pool is infront of Tempoross' larger pool. It will soon turn blue and fishy - click it and wait! Tempoross' second bar, Essence (their actual HP, with Energy being more like armour) will now begin to drain. The top bar, incidentally, will also slowly refill.

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross 300px-Tempoross_phase_two
The 'phase two' where Tempoross is vulnerable. The spirit pools in front of Tempoross' main whirlpool must be harpooned to damage it.

Once the top bar hits about 99%, start fishing again! The chances of you hitting a fishing gain at 100% are slim to none, so you might as well save time running. You should have about 7 fish in your inventory, so repeat what you did before - fish on green, tether, cook, fish more, douse, fire, harpoon the pool.

Tempoross will be down in no time at all, and you'll have contributed enough to earn 3-6 reward pool thingies, depending on how high your fishing level is and how tightly you performed all the timing stuff.

Right click on the dancing man on the beach and click 'leave' to be teleported back to the main docks where you came from! Your reward pool now has stuff in it, and you won!

---

Part 3: The Shore

Back at the shore, you have (if all goes as planned) just enough time to fish up all your rewards from the Reward Pool with your little net before the next ship leaves. But if you miss it, don't worry, it comes every 30 seconds. If you lost any tools, now's the time to restock and take a breather.

You should have gotten your victory in about 6-7 minutes, and giving yourself room to breathe and restock, allowing time for IRL hydration/bio breaks/etc, that makes a good 6 or so runs per hour (trying to be realistic and not assuming you're glued to your keyboard, here! <3). This could easily peak at 9 runs per hour if you're *really* putting your nose to the grindstone, capping at 10 if you're maxed out and have all your crystal doozies and whotsits.

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross 300px-Reward_pool_%2875-99_rewards%29
A stocked reward pool, back in Unkah, will show varying debris when reward tickets are above a certain amount.

That means depending on your skill level and execution, you can expect about 18-60 reward pool tokens per hour. The pool holds up to 8000 tokens, so don't feel obligated to pull them all out at once if you wanna focus on rushing onto the next boat with your group, if you had a particularly good one.

I make no claims this method is the best one, and I've read no other guides, so maybe a secret method exists out there that's better than this, but I personally feel this is quite a smooth and methodical way of doing beginner-end Tempoross, so maybe it'll help someone else out there!
---

In Summary:

Prep:
Wear little, have 3x water bucket, (dragon) harpoon, (imcando) hammer, 1x rope, 1x small fishing net, spirit flakes. Go to Al Kharid, ferry to Tempoross place, get on boat when 10+ people on boat.

During:
- Fish 7x harpoonfish from blue, cook.
- Fish from green until Tempoross wave, tether at totem, repair totem if broken.
- Fish from blue until full inventory, cook. Swap to another green ONLY IF close and convenient.
- Click closest fire when lightning to douse.
- Run onto ship, shoot from closest cannon.
- Tether at mast when Tempoross wave.
- Refill bucket, keep shooting, repair mast if broken.
- Go fish more when out of fish.
- Harpoon spirit pool when Tempoross goes aaaargh.
- Rinse and repeat!

After:
- Net reward pool, bank reward, run to ship, do it all over again.

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross ExQRrGgXEAEQPNV
First Mate Peri dances victoriously.

Good luck, and happy newbing!

Last edited by Evie Fae on Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Kamav
Kamav

Back to top Go down

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross Empty Re: A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross

Post by Syllabic Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:00 pm

Will definitely get some use out of this when I finally get around to training fishing! Why they thought 96 (91) was a fair requirement for the Morytania diary I do not know. Thanks for posting Happy Pepo

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross NuD0cpJ

Tutter

Back to top Go down

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross Empty Re: A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross

Post by DabbingBrb Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:00 pm

Extremely well written guide. I'll be directing people here from now on if they are curious about tempoross Smile

Thanks for the contribution!

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross Dabna10

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross Untitl10
DabbingBrb
DabbingBrb

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross NuD0cpJ

Bloodhound

Back to top Go down

Post by Legna Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:38 pm

ooo very nice. I may refer to this whenever i resume the grind for 200m fishing xp. Much appreciated for adding to our guide section Smile
Legna
Legna

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross YP5zkAJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamav Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:59 pm

Thank you all! As per feedback in Discord, I updated with some images and colours.
Kamav
Kamav

Back to top Go down

Post by OmniRick Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:57 am

The update was a good idea, the visuals are helpful.
OmniRick
OmniRick

A Newbie's Guide to Gaming Tempoross YP5zkAJ

Ancient Sigil

Back to top Go down