Fatbutter
OSRS Skull
Musicked
Purple Dude
RedIrishTank
Natalia
11 posters

Go down

What's your earliest Runescape memory? Empty What's your earliest Runescape memory?

Post by Natalia Fri May 12, 2023 1:43 pm

Hello,

The earliest memory of Runescape I have is when first being introduced. Approximately January 2002, perhaps a bit sooner, perhaps a bit later.. at a friend's house and they were at what I now know is Edgeville. This was still in Runescape Classic engine although it was just called Runescape then. They were able to cut down a tree and light a fire. When I saw them do that, I immediately had to play. Went home and fought the 14k dial up to get everything going. The rest is history. My siblings also played after that. We would go to the library and sign up for 30 minute slots. Whenever some adult came to use the next 30 minute slot, they would usually ask things like "Did you win?" and of course we'd say yes because it would be impolite to spend so much time explaining that we'd be perusing this very same game, often on the same accounts, for the next several decades without being any closer to winning.

This is also around the time when lego.com brought out fun games you could play, and Neopets was the absolute thing to do. We killed months of time having fun.

So what are your earliest memories? What initially attracted you to the game? Bonus points if you have some screenshots. Definitely have a few on my old PC hard drives and backups.. might have to pull them out for nostalgia's sake.

Thanks for sharing! Smile

Respectfully,
NoMoreBeer4U
Natalia
Natalia

What's your earliest Runescape memory? YP5zkAJ

Back to top Go down

What's your earliest Runescape memory? Empty Re: What's your earliest Runescape memory?

Post by RedIrishTank Fri May 12, 2023 2:44 pm

My earliest memory would have to be in study hall at school. A few friends got on the game and instantly I was interested. The more time I spent seeing others play it the more I wanted to play it.

Hearing the scape home song just gave me a boost of happiness lol. Every time I logged on the music for some reason just made me want to play more. Starting out fishing in draynor and cutting willows. Finding the willows over to the south by that little pond was a game changer back then because of all the people.

Staying up late into the morning with my friends irl pking on our alts having a blast. One time I remember we were out in the wild at green dragons. I for some reason decided to take my whip that night. Back then whips were some where around 3-4.5m maybe higher. Well, with us we had mics and all sudden he says mages!!!!! RUNNNN! yep. way to late.  I hear TB and barrage spell.  I knew it was over but I fought for a short time and yeah I lost my whip.

I could probably sit here all day and night talking about a lot of the great times I had on here. I honestly most likely forget a lot of them. Well there was a short walk down memory lane. Glad you asked the question NoMoreBeer4U you just took me back to the old days Very Happy

Ah one more! Fally merchant square! I will never forget those days and the mass people. Clicking the world constantly until you got to log in. Sometimes you would be clicking for 5 minutes trying to log in! Never forget when you got d/c from that world and thinking *crap here goes the logging in process again * lol
RedIrishTank
RedIrishTank

Back to top Go down

What's your earliest Runescape memory? Empty Re: What's your earliest Runescape memory?

Post by Natalia Fri May 12, 2023 2:58 pm

RedIrishTank wrote:Ah one more! Fally merchant square! I will never forget those days and the mass people. Clicking the world constantly until you got to log in. Sometimes you would be clicking for 5 minutes trying to log in! Never forget when you got d/c from that world and thinking *crap here goes the logging in process again * lol

Hello,

Yeah! World 1/2 marketplace were the best. I always preferred Varrock for some reason, and would regularly stand around buying Law/Nature Runes at a certain price, cornering the market, then reselling for a few GP more. That was really fun. Also hopping around all the worlds buying Willow Logs in Draynor for 12-15 GP, before selling them for 30-35 or even 40gp each in bulk to someone on the forum.

Prior to that I remember hanging out in Draynor uncerting lobbies to sell to PvPers in Varrock while also mining and certain Coal to sell to the skillers. When OSRS came out with the trading post it really brought back some of that sort of "real merchanting" without the inconvenience we had prior to that of W2 buying and selling. Wish there were some way to bring that back, but alas it is not meant to be. Appreciate you sharing your memories with us!

Respectfully,
NoMoreBeer4U
Natalia
Natalia

Back to top Go down

Post by RedIrishTank Sun May 14, 2023 10:19 pm

Yes my go to was glory's. I remember starting out buying at 50k then bump up to 55-60k. I had some other things I would merchant but its been so long I cant remember lol.

Honestly the old days of rs before it became rs3 *eoc* pking was amazing. I haven't done it for years. I don't even know if its the same anymore.
RedIrishTank
RedIrishTank

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalia Sun May 14, 2023 10:26 pm

Hello,

You know what's crazy? That price holds so much meaning and nostalgia for me in this context. It's crazy how certain prices for lobbies, runes, etc. just seem "right".

Respectfully,
NoMoreBeer4U
Natalia
Natalia

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple Dude Mon May 15, 2023 2:32 am

It was at school when I was 12 years old, I remember it was a class with no teachers, in other words: a big break.

A friend of mine was on miniclip playing this game called Runescape, and he was fishing lobsters on Karamja, and it just looked so nice, so he helped me make an account and I was basically f2p the first year or so.
My first memory is wandering from lumbridge to draynor.
I did not know that you could move your view, I thought you were static stuck in north and as close to the ground as possible, so I ended up entering a house in Draynor and clicked the stairs, and I couldn't see the stairs once I wanted to get down, I was legit stuck..
Then a "player" joined me in that room, and I wrote in the chat, asking for help, but they kept ignoring me, despite walking around in the room, which was kinda rude to be honest.
So I just randomly clicked everywhere and accidentally attacked the "player", I did not know what an NPC was, I thought the Human NPCs were players Very Happy
I apologized profusely for attacking, but she kept hitting back and I ended up killing her, still stuck upstairs in a Draynor house.
I found my way down an undisclosed amount of time later lol

Another memory:
Despite math being my favourite class in school, I never once used it in Runescape lol
As a f2p my "money maker" was to buy gems from people in Falador, and then go mine gold and make gold bars and then make jewellery and then sell that jewellery to the shop in Port Sarim.
I am pretty sure I lost money on that, but I did it everytime I had extra GP for months.. no wonder I never got rich.

Another one:
A friend of mine was a Member, and I wanted law runes, and well as a member he had access to those guys that camped law altar and if you delivered essence to them, you would get 27 ess and 27 laws back, good old days.
I didn't understand how that worked, so my "friend" told me that for every 2 pure essence I got him, he would give me 1 Law Rune.
And back then, buying Pure Essence in F2P, was expensive.
Pretty sure I paid like 500-1000 gp per Pure Essence, so all Law Runes through this "deal" cost me 1-2k xD

Somehow I ended up becoming an Advisor in ingame knowledge for a larger Danish Clan down the line, who would have thought lmao Very Happy bounce

What's your earliest Runescape memory? NuD0cpJ

Back to top Go down

What's your earliest Runescape memory? Empty Reply to Purple Dude

Post by Natalia Mon May 15, 2023 1:57 pm

Hello,

It's interesting how our younger minds are unable to grasp certain concepts yet, and just accept things as "that's the way it is". It's also interesting how many people found this game via miniclip. For me it was the other way around, never heard of miniclip until people started showing up from there.

Funny thing about thinking NPCs are real people. When we upgraded to RS2 the old man came and gave me something and I thought he was a person and tried to find him. It was inspiration to randomly run up to people, give them a little cash, then teleport away. And recall that people used to all say congratulations when a genie random came.

Thank you for sharing!

Respectfully,
NoMoreBeer4U
Natalia
Natalia

Back to top Go down

Post by RedIrishTank Mon May 15, 2023 7:51 pm

Nice memory's Purple,

I remember way back in the day probably some where around 05-07  I started training combat on rs2. My User name back then was
*pkwhite boy* I'm remembering now that I played earlier than I once thought. The years I started out was on an account that I abandoned not long after I started playing. I went from that account too pkwhite boy. Played years on that account but the early years I remember the go to place to train combat was fremennik slayer dung monsters, at least it was for me.

One day during the summer I just got done unlocking basilisks, instead of looking it up and knowing how to kill it I figured I would just go and start training on it. Well... not a very good idea, I had no idea you needed a mirror shield. That day walking into the dung I remember seeing a girl character training on cave crawlers. *I asked what are you doing?* she replies * *gathering herbs for 99 herblore these tend to drop a lot of herbs*  I thought to myself  how great of a idea that was, better understanding they also drop water vials which made a big difference in starting out at a lower level.

Little did I know that day after shortly talking to her she would be saving my bacon! We talked a bit and well I got on my way and headed deeper into the dung to where basilisks were. I got to the location and as I always did I took a sip of attack and strength  potion and attacked one of these green looking things.  I just remember getting hit like crazy , I ran out of that place so quick with my heart racing so fast thinking I just about lost everything! Soon as I ran away I noticed they quit attacking me but
yet not completely knowing the game and I have never gotten posioned yet, I was still getting hit?! I'm thinking to myself why am I still dieing?!

I had no teleports back then at that time and I would walk from the bank to the dung every time I wanted to train. knowing I used most of my food up as I just got attacked and I had low hp lvl. I started my long walk back to the bank and getting hit every so often. I finally got back to the cave entrance and by a great prayer! Buttercup30 was still there. I frantically asked if she had any food! That day I became friends with one of the nicest friend you could have! Just a long but short memory I have of back in the day of my early first almost death on rs2.Long story short that day after getting hit with the bassys and getting posioned and I had no teleport back to bank I was walking the whole way from seers bank to the dung. I used up most of all my food and I got to where the entrance was and there was a person there killing cave crawlers. Buttercup30 I can still remember frantically begging for food! Saying I'm going to die please help! from that day me and her became friends.

It's the little things that a person remembers, a person not knowing you but yet helping you out so you don't die on a game. From this day on she is still on my friends list, we don't talk anymore but she actually just signed on last night for a short time. The old days were great when everyone talked on the game and helped each other out.
RedIrishTank
RedIrishTank

Back to top Go down

Post by Musicked Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:19 am

I was watching a friend play in 2006, I believe… He had all this cool stuff, a Neitiznot Helm, a Dragon Chainbody, Dragon Dagger etc. I was always curious if I could make an account and achieve cool looking gear like that. I only realized I needed to be a member for all that after playing for like a year in F2P, and my world went crazy when I discovered all the new possibilities. Hooked for life from that point on.
Musicked
Musicked

Back to top Go down

Post by OSRS Skull Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:06 pm

Lol so many early memories. I was exploring the f2p world as a noob and somehow found my way into the Draynor sewers. I thought I would smack a few zombies around and get some loot. I died and lost everything, with no clue how to find my way back to that "dungeon". Lol for some odd reason a higher level player was killing zombies there when I died and DMd me. A few minutes later and he showed up in lumby with my gear. Even hooked me up with a full set of mith armor and weapons.
OSRS Skull
OSRS Skull

Back to top Go down

Post by Musicked Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:30 pm

OSRS Skull wrote:Lol so many early memories. I was exploring the f2p world as a noob and somehow found my way into the Draynor sewers. I thought I would smack a few zombies around and get some loot. I died and lost everything, with no clue how to find my way back to that "dungeon". Lol for some odd reason a higher level player was killing zombies there when I died and DMd me. A few minutes later and he showed up in lumby with my gear. Even hooked me up with a full set of mith armor and weapons.
So wholesome! One of my first memories is getting scammed for full mithril... Maybe this is where it went Razz
Musicked
Musicked

Back to top Go down

Post by OSRS Skull Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:01 pm

Non-Sensical wrote:
OSRS Skull wrote:Lol so many early memories. I was exploring the f2p world as a noob and somehow found my way into the Draynor sewers. I thought I would smack a few zombies around and get some loot. I died and lost everything, with no clue how to find my way back to that "dungeon". Lol for some odd reason a higher level player was killing zombies there when I died and DMd me. A few minutes later and he showed up in lumby with my gear. Even hooked me up with a full set of mith armor and weapons.
So wholesome! One of my first memories is getting scammed for full mithril... Maybe this is where it went Razz

Lmao yeah, no. I remember losing that mithril shortly after. Another unforgettable memory. Me slaying fearsome cows with my new armor. Along comes this man wearing black armor shiny with gold trim. This is new, how do I get that. "Would you like me to trim your armor?" 10 seconds later I'm accepting the trade offer for nothing. Standing there waiting to see how he's going to trim my armor. Queue the disappearing act. Armor trimmer has logged out. A short panic as I wait for him to log back in, coping ensues. Surprisingly a minute later he logs back in. 10 steps from where he logged out. He's now in the desert telling me to trade him if I want my trimmed armor. I don't know how to get into the desert. "Oh you don't want your armor back?" ;_; Lesson learned
OSRS Skull
OSRS Skull

Back to top Go down

Post by Musicked Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:04 pm

OSRS Skull wrote:
Non-Sensical wrote:

Lmao yeah, no. I remember losing that mithril shortly after. Another unforgettable memory. Me slaying fearsome cows with my new armor. Along comes this man wearing black armor shiny with gold trim. This is new, how do I get that. "Would you like me to trim your armor?" 10 seconds later I'm accepting the trade offer for nothing. Standing there waiting to see how he's going to trim my armor. Queue the disappearing act. Armor trimmer has logged out. A short panic as I wait for him to log back in, coping ensues. Surprisingly a minute later he logs back in. 10 steps from where he logged out. He's now in the desert telling me to trade him if I want my trimmed armor. I don't know how to get into the desert. "Oh you don't want your armor back?" ;_; Lesson learned
Oh that's the classic noob bullying act:( Almost unimaginable that people did that for a full set of mithril
Musicked
Musicked

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatbutter Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:59 am

Back in 03 I got trapped on karamja not knowing I could collect bananas to get off the island. I fished that dock for a long while before someone told me I could do it.
Fatbutter
Fatbutter

Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Hevalio Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:17 pm

My earliest memory of Runescape was when I used to play on private servers as a little kid!

It was called like CrisisX and I forgot what was custom about it, but I played a lot of it and I guess it planted the seeds of Runescape in my brain.

Another memory was right when EoC was released and you could test out the new combat in I think Lumbridge? I didn't get very far in the transition from RS2 to RS3, and then I took quite a long break from Runescape at that point. Every year or so I'd try out RS3 and it would never stick for more than a week.

I finally got sucked back in with Old School Runescape in around 2019, and ever since I've been stuck in xD
Hevalio
Hevalio

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingerrdan Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:32 pm

Thinking I had to load up miniclip to play runescape and being aware of the actual website Embarassed Embarassed
Gingerrdan
Gingerrdan

Back to top Go down

Post by FlamingGem Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:15 am

My earliest memory was many many years ago in the early days. I was exploring the map trying to learn it. I first died trying to go to Varrock (those doggone wizards!) I then on the same day got scammed by an "armor trimmer".

Learned a lot that day and in one sense it made.me a better player. Possibly paranoid but still.

Fast forward couple of months later level 50 or so and had my first RuneScape girlfriend LOL.
FlamingGem
FlamingGem

Back to top Go down

Post by mahmu wife Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:38 pm

Cool topic, funny stories Very Happy

My first memory is in 1999 or 2000, i dont remember to much. there was a website for browsergames called miniclip.com, you know one of theese "here is a list with 2000 non budget games, enjoy your time" and runescape was the only game highlighted during my visit, so i played the game. i did not speak or read a single word in english. it took me (guessing at this points) weeks to leave the tutorial island. First cause of action, i see goblins and spiders around the lumby castle. my brain "I DO NOT KNOW WHERE WE ARE, BUT WE ARE GETTING INVADED", died obvs, lost my entire stack of starter items which i have not understood anyway and so on. once i found varrock (probs weeks later again) i never left the city for a good month because i knew i would never find it again. Very Happy

I was not realy playing the game either at any point during the time, i just ran around, explored some stuff and found some cool other kids to play with.

What i remember without a single detail missing was my first scam tho. the player was called devil102, he showed me a 100k cashstack (never knew you could have that much money) wanted to buy everything i own for that money, so i traded him my bank, inventory for inventory. well, guess who dipped at the end instead of paying me. Sad Sad I lost my beloved mithril armor and my addy 2h togehter with all the cabbage onion and bones i found and collected.
mahmu wife
mahmu wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Musicked Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:07 pm

It's always the mithril armour... It's kinda cool that we stuck to playing the game after being scammed, it's almost like it's a rite of passage of sorts lol. Sad that had to be the case, but we learned from it for situations IRL or in other places online. Now they're authentic memories we'll never forget, even if they were not so pleasant.
Musicked
Musicked

Back to top Go down

Post by WeaknSilly Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:03 pm

Yo this thread is a cool read Very Happy.

Mine was when I went to my dads friends house and they were both having a few beers and catching up. I went down to his office room in the house and saw they had a computer setup. All of my friends had been talking about Runescape at school and I hadn't played it at home because I accidentally clicked "Do not allow" when prompted by java :'(. I asked my Dad's friend if I could use their computer to play some games online, he said sure, and that is where my 17 year adventure started.
WeaknSilly
WeaknSilly

Back to top Go down