PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod.

3 posters

Go down

PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod. Empty PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod.

Post by Magnesium J Fri 24 Dec - 18:05

My PS4 had gotten to the point, after 7 years, that as soon as i launched anything other than netflix/hulu, it would hit turbo-fan-mode, and legitimately drone out anything. I'd have to turn my tv up to 50-60 to hear it when normally 25-30 would suffice.

After seeing some reddit threads of suggestions/fixes I took it all apart, cleaned it all, applied new thermal paste, did everything. Helped it for a couple of days, but it came back just as loud.

Yesterday I started by cutting a hole in the back of the case (to access fan/heatsink) and then another hole in the plastic guard around the heatsink.
PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod. Image210
After that I drilled holes and sank the cpu mounting screws into the back of the case.
Applied the thermal paste, mounted, and set it back up.
PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod. Image110

Here she is on my shelf beside the TV, running almost silently. The fan so far has only even kicked up to 2x its normal idle speed.
PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod. Image010
I did half to manually wire the cooler's fan to a usb cable to power it up until the actual cable comes in though lol..
I had also gotten tired of slow loading screens and launch speeds, so I decided to swap the 2014 500gb HDD for a nice new 1tb SSD.
The difference is insane.
Magnesium J
Magnesium J

kraken

Back to top Go down

PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod. Empty Re: PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod.

Post by Bob Sun 2 Jan - 13:41

Whoa just now saw this. This is very cool, how is it running now?
Bob
Bob

PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod. YP5zkAJ

Back to top Go down

PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod. Empty Re: PS4 was driving me crazy, decided to mod.

Post by Jennirous Mon 3 Jan - 9:16

Very nice modifications! @Magnesium J Wish I was that tech savy ^^
Jennirous
Jennirous

kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnesium J Tue 4 Jan - 7:42

Bob wrote:Whoa just now saw this. This is very cool, how is it running now?
It's running the best it's ever run, since original purchase. it takes hours now to kick in the fan past idle, whereas before it would take about 5 minutes running a game to kick it to max.

After it's success, and doing some research, I'm about to attempt to fix my old ps3 fat that died a while back. The solder balls on the CPU/GPU chips need to be replaced.. Shocked If I can get it to work, I'm considering shoving a ps3, ps2, and ps1 all together into a PC case, and making a Master-PlayStation. Laughing
Magnesium J
Magnesium J

kraken

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 4 Jan - 10:31

If you make that Master-Playstation you gotta post that here!! So cool
Bob
Bob

Back to top Go down