Stay Safe On RuneScape Important Reminder!

+2
OmniRick
PoiseApple
6 posters

Go down

Stay Safe On RuneScape Important Reminder! Empty Stay Safe On RuneScape Important Reminder!

Post by PoiseApple Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:12 pm

Hey everyone!

This afternoon whilst I was busy questing I was sent a PM from another player impersonating a Jagex employee of the name of JagTeam_Oleg who tried to pretend as though he was getting me to sign up to be a moderator and to prove that my account is my own by visiting a strange website with a weird invitation code. Of course I approached the CC because it was weird and something was off and so many helpful members saved me from getting hacked or losing everything thank you all so much! But I questioned this person further and I don’t think the guy is ever going to harass another player again lol.

But just a safety reminder!

JAGEX will NEVER message you in game directly unless their name in the chat box or private messages has a gold crown! A player moderator also has a silver crown next to their name! But if Jagex would ever want you to become a game moderator they will message you in the message centre of your account settings.

NEVER go to any weird websites that aren’t the main game website. Never share your account details, always use two step authentication and remember JAGEX will never message you in game! A Jmod and a Pmod have the ability to mute another player and other tools. Also the guy I was speaking seemed to be a hacker he was on a strange world 1132 and kept saying “I’m a mod I can send you long messages and just look at the world I’m on” one of the cc members mentioned it could be an rs3 server lobby which this hacker didn’t even know what that was either lol.

In the end I just placed him on the ignore list

So heads up stay safe in real & in game!
PoiseApple

Back to top Go down

Stay Safe On RuneScape Important Reminder! Empty Re: Stay Safe On RuneScape Important Reminder!

Post by OmniRick Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:45 pm

In the future, you can do: Report Abuse -> #5 - Staff impersonation
OmniRick
OmniRick

Stay Safe On RuneScape Important Reminder! YP5zkAJ

Ancient Sigil

Back to top Go down

Stay Safe On RuneScape Important Reminder! Empty Re: Stay Safe On RuneScape Important Reminder!

Post by arrryh Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:29 pm

None of this will ever ever happen in game. It's worrying the amount of toxic / scamming players that are currently in game but it's nothing new unfortunately.

Asking the cc is a great idea, lots of long term veterans here will have either seen your scam, or know how the scams often work so can spot new ones. Never feel silly for asking, noone will think you're 'stupid' or anything like that - it's better to be safe than sorry.

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Nothing is free in life, everything is earnt.

Both of those statements are even more true online, where people have a massively reduced social sense of wrongdoing, being able to hide behind a computer. Stay safe out there!
arrryh
arrryh

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabzter Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:59 pm

OmniRick wrote:In the future, you can do: Report Abuse -> #5 - Staff impersonation

Do they check PMs for reports as well? I was never sure of that but sure hope they would.
Dabzter
Dabzter

Back to top Go down

Post by LordQuite Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:52 am

Dabzter wrote:
OmniRick wrote:In the future, you can do: Report Abuse -> #5 - Staff impersonation

Do they check PMs for reports as well? I was never sure of that but sure hope they would.
They Check everything. From general chat to private chat.
LordQuite
LordQuite

Back to top Go down

Stay Safe On RuneScape Important Reminder! Empty Scam Attempt I Received Today (Didn't work on me)

Post by griveous666 Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:37 pm

I got a scam attempt of the same sort - this one was username: JagTeam_trem, in world 1132. He said that only jagex can send long messages and pointed out which world he was in. He would not send a message to my official message center though which I found suspicious.

Also the secure site he sent me was from 000webhost which Jagex would not actually use. So he sent me to a third party site link not hosted by Jagex, to apply for player moderator status. I reported him for impersonating staff and declined the offer. Just wanted to spread awareness about this scam. It seemed legit, must have hacked his way into world 1132. I couldn't hop to the world. No crown next to his name either which tipped me off. In addition to reporting, I posted in the official forum about it.

Last edited by griveous666 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just to reword)
griveous666
griveous666

Back to top Go down