+5
Virtual Luck
Spiritika
Tinnitus
Syllabic
LadyDunlop
9 posters

Go down

Hello... finally! Empty Hello... finally!

Post by LadyDunlop Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been hanging out in the OSRS Advice cc for several months now, so I suppose it is high time to officially 'introduce' myself. I played RS back in the mid-2000s for a couple of years. At that time, online gaming, which included speaking with strangers, was a 'scary' concept for us parents... totally new territory at that time. My kids were really enjoying the game and talking about meeting all these people. So, I wanted to check it out before making any rash decisions about them playing the game or not. In the process, I got hooked too! I always allowed them to play, and we just made sure to have an open dialog about the dangers of sharing personal information with strangers. It was a good opportunity to help them learn how to safely navigate the internet, because obviously it was here to stay and was only going to grow.

That said, life got busy and I stopped playing, and I think around that time OSRS rolled into I guess what is now RS3??? The new format just wasn't for me. Fast forward about a dozen years. One of my kids mentioned he had started to play OSRS again. What??? Well, here I am, back on the RS I remember (albeit with some of the old content gone, but lots of new content as well). I plan to keep playing as long as I find the game entertaining and relaxing. It's also nice to have a group like OSRS Advice, so while you are doing your own thing, you aren't exactly alone either.

My scoop... not hard to guess I'm now a middle-aged, empty-nester mom, doing the full-time daily work grind now that the kids are grown and on their own. In my free time (when not at home wasting away in front of the screen playing OSRS) I enjoy tennis, hiking, travel (pretty limited right now with the nasty covid thing going around), reading, painting, and binge-watching Netflix. I look forward to the next stage when my kids start their own families. Fingers crossed my future will include grandchildren some day!
LadyDunlop
LadyDunlop

Back to top Go down

Hello... finally! Empty Re: Hello... finally!

Post by Syllabic Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Hey Lady. About time you finally got this done, haha. Pretty comprehensive intro though, so I suppose it was worth the wait! "Fun" fact, turns out you signed up exactly a year after I did.

Really cool that you were willing to get involved with your kids like that. I would have been thrilled if my parents had shown an interest in online gaming, or the internet at all frankly. Sounds like you had a really mature approach to the whole thing. Does your son still play OSRS, or did you end up outlasting him? Seems like it'd be a fun bonding experience, now that they've all left home.

Pretty big hiker/traveler myself (when I can afford the latter, anyway). Don't live terribly close to any major trails right now, but the PNW is great for it, as long as you're up for a bit of a drive. Would love to see pictures of some your adventures if you got em. And what kind of books are you into? Mostly Fantasy/Sci-Fi for me, with some History thrown in when the mood strikes me. Feel free to check out Liv's book thread as well. Been a while since anybody showed it some love https://www.osrsadvice.com/t4341-any-avid-readers

See ya Smile

Hello... finally! NuD0cpJ

Tutter

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinnitus Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:51 pm

Hey LadyDunlop,

Yay, you posted an intro! Smile

I find it absolutely awesome that we have a few mothers who along with their kids play this game. I never got much support from my parents when I would wake up an hour early before school everyday to play Runescape over a decade ago. Can't say I blame them though, I know they were just trying to look after me. My parents still need help with downloading an app on their phone, or even when sending an email, so I couldn't really imagine them playing games with me, but it's a cool thought I'll always have.

I do some hiking myself, as I'm very fortunate to have a few awesome trails nearby. I'm also into motorcycling and scuba diving, although I haven't been underwater for quite some time. Painting is great, I took a 2-day class once on it and had a blast, although I could imagine some projects could take forever. Definitely a skill I don't have, though I respect anyone that does it. Art is AWESOME!

Cheers! Smile
Tinnitus
Tinnitus

Hello... finally! 4068HaS

Hellpuppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritika Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi Lady,
Though we've met in clan chat while in game, it's nice to officially meet you here on the offsite as well. Very Happy

It seems like you got into RuneScape in about the same way I did. I started playing in 2006 because my kids heard about it from their friends at school and wanted to play so of course I had to check out the game first. Needless to say, the game checked out and we ended up playing RuneScape together, continuing when it transitioned into RS3. It was a lot of fun doing things like quests and minigames together. Did you and your kids also do things like that together when playing the game?

My older son and my daughter no longer play but my younger son still logs into RS3 sometimes to chat with our RS3 guild mates. In fact, he's the one that tipped me off when OSRS went mobile, which is when I started playing again.

Like you, I'm a middle-aged empty-nester mom who still enjoys playing RuneScape. It's neat that the game attracts a wide variety of people in different stages of life and from all over the world. Smile
Spiritika
Spiritika

Hello... finally! YP5zkAJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtual Luck Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:09 pm

Welcome!
Virtual Luck
Virtual Luck

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyDunlop Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:45 pm

Thank you for the great welcome replies! In answer to some of your questions, I believe I lasted longer at RS back in the day than my kids, and have done so again. My oldest son still plays from time to time but not terribly often. My younger son and daughter don't play RS, but they do enjoy playing Super Mario together. It's a lot of fun for me to watch, but I don't have the cat like reflexes they do to play it successfully. We all have a lot of other common interests, thankfully, so plenty of fun times out side of gaming!

I will definitely check out the thread above! The books I most often choose are the "classics," historical fiction, and history, and of course the occasional light-hearted fun reads. I enjoy learning and books are a great way to do that beyond first hand experience.
LadyDunlop
LadyDunlop

Back to top Go down

Post by noelemahc Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:20 am

the most officalist welcome. seen ya around for a while, glad you decided to sign up on here!!

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybird2 Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:45 pm

Very nice to get to know more about you, I got hooked because my grandson played and was so obsessed that it drove us to distraction at family gatherings. I returned from Sunday lunch at my elder daughters house, and decided to explore..and created Sundaygirl8 ( dont worry its not a security breach question) I hadnt a clue what to do, I even had to ask him how I could chat. He spent an afternoon teaching me to farm, and calling me Nana lol. He also didnt approve of my hair which was the male spikey one and a bit more punk and trendy to me than the early female hair. I had many more hours to play then he did, and soon had higher stats which demotivated hi a bit I think Sad but he was more skiller and I enjoyed combat, and I loved to see him around on the game. He moved on to xbox stuff shortly after...and I have yet to leave after 13 or so years !! and now I'm the boring one with run escape anecdotes.
Welcome to offsite, its good to have you around Smile
ladybird2

ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by CelticArrows Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:06 pm

aye talk about an intro, i wish id do some like that haha, nice to meet you Wink

see you in game soon
CelticArrows
CelticArrows

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitarist141 Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:28 pm

Lady!

Welcome to the offsite!
I had a similar past...played in 2000's and stopped when RS3 rolled out. When I heard it was coming back for mobile, those chains I thought I slipped long ago apparently still held because here I am...
Good luck in game, and to your family!
Guitarist141
Guitarist141

Hello... finally! YP5zkAJ

Goats

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum