The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server

+4
SoraSpirit
Syllabic
Avallan
Bear
8 posters

Go down

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server Empty The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server

Post by Bear Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:38 am

Hello Guest,

As you may or may not know already, we've had a clan PVM Discord server running for quite some time now. This was originally intended to be a hub for players to communicate in real-time while doing PVM with each other, with different text and voice channels such as "Looking for Group", Chambers of Xeric, Theatre of Blood, Godwars, etc.

This eventually became a very popular idea among clannies new and old, with more and more requests to expand. This saw the addition of other areas such as a PVP-specific channel, a Barbarian Assault channel, even an Inferno channel. Seeing as Discord is available while you're playing other games via Discord's overlay feature, or while you're out and about via Discord's mobile application, many have even found themselves chatting with clannies when they're not able to log in and play the game. This lead to an even further expansion including channels such as Screenshots, Music, and Memes. Even an entire clannie-hosted Minecraft server was created and lead to a channel of its own!

With these advancements alongside Jagex's upcoming clan overhaul, and our desire to continue growing the clan as we look towards the future, it seems overdue that some (mostly) clerical changes be made.

Moving forward, the "OSRS Advice PVM" server will be renamed and is now to be considered the official Discord server of OSRS Advice.

Guest: "Why are you guys doing this?"

What a good looking question, Guest! With nearly 700 Discord members as of this post, spread among a wide variety of channels and topics, it seems pointless to simply call this a PVM server. When I've seen it discussed in the clan chat, a prospective new player will say "do you guys have a Discord?" to which I've seen some respond with "yeah but it's only for pvm" which simply isn't the case anymore, nor has it been for quite some time!

This server was born thanks to the initiative of our very own @Autocrat and upon his departure from the clan, I - being the clan leader - was made the new owner of the server. While myself, @Bing, and @Moon Light are the current Administrators of the server, all clan members also retain their ranks within the server, just as they have in the clan chat. This includes just over 40 of our loyal moderators currently taking part! From clannies you'll see in-game daily along your farm runs, to those who don't play the game anymore but still want to chat with friends they've made here, the Discord is for everybody - not just PVMers.

Guest: "Ok, makes sense, but what does this mean for me?"

Well, unless you're a member of the server Administration - namely Bing - nothing! Having handled much of the Discord server management for the last several months, Bing has already begun work on the overhaul. This will include minor changes such as a server name and icon change, and some basic structure reorganization to clean things up and reflect that we are no longer simply a PVM server.

Guest: "Sounds great, and might I say you look fantastic Bear! But what about the offsite? Is anything changing here?"

First off, thank you, you're too kind!
Second, the only thing this changes about the offsite is that the new Discord thread will be found here in the "Announcements" section for ease of access, rather than hidden away in the PVM section!

One of the features of Discord can also be considered a drawback by some. While it is real-time communication, that means conversations can get lost just as quickly, and some features just aren't currently feasible when compared to the offsite.

Spent an hour or two writing a guide? Have an ongoing update thread where you log and keep track of your progress? Pasting this into Discord is pointless because it will disappear just as quickly as others speak, causing you to scroll further and further up as time moves on until it's lost. Not to mention you can't use all the great formatting tools that you have access to here. It's the same as trying to post something in the clan chat and refer to it hours later (if the clan chat didn't delete messages to make room for new ones).
Here it can easily be found and opened, staying in one organized place. The offsite is simply a much more organized environment for content like that, the monthly lotto, etc. and will be for the foreseeable future. To put it simply, the offsite is here to stay!

You may find the new official Discord thread here: Official OSRS Advice Discord

If you have any other questions, be sure to post them here or message me privately. This post may seem like a bit of overkill for such minimal changes to those already in the server, but clarity and transparency is important.

As always, thank you all for being a part of this wonderful clan!

Bear Wave

Last edited by Bear on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:09 pm; edited 5 times in total

AKA OSRS Advice

AKA Bearadomin

AKA Bearrows

AKA King Bear

Bear
Bear

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server OTXfGgg

Back to top Go down

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server Empty Re: The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server

Post by Avallan Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:05 am

Happy to see this, I remember when I first joined the discord I was a little hesitant that I might not be welcomed due to not really being a PvM'er but that was never the case, but I can see how it might confuse people, definitely makes sense to just be the official clan discord <3
Avallan
Avallan

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server YP5zkAJ

Back to top Go down

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server Empty Re: The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server

Post by Syllabic Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:20 am

Thanks for keeping us informed! The Discord definitely seems to me like more of a social platform than a PvM focused one at this point, so it's nice to see things evolving to reflect that. I'd also like to express how glad I am that it exists in the first place! I've met a lot of really great people in my short time here, and the Discord server provides an easy way for us all to interact in a more laid back, personal environment.

One of my best CC memories is of a bunch of us hanging out in voice chat doing Wintertodt while listening to music. That was within the first few weeks of me joining, and it really helped solidify the CC as something I wanted to actively participate in. I'd never been a part of such a welcoming, friendly online community before.

Hopefully this change will make it more visible (and appealing!) to newer members, as well. As Meg mentioned, I sometimes notice that people are hesitant to join. Fostering a welcoming atmosphere that's open to all should be the name of the game, as far as I'm concerned.

And finally, thanks to Bing and Moon Light (and all the other mods) for being so active in the server, and taking all of our suggestions into account. The #pets and #food-and-cooking channels are especially appreciated Cool

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server NuD0cpJ

Tutter

Back to top Go down

Post by SoraSpirit Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:58 am

I can only speak from experience and say that when I first joined the Discord, I was a bit intimidated cos I never PVM.

With how its gradually changed over the months, and how my IRL life has taken over my ability to play regularly, the Discord has now become a great place for me to stay engaged with the clan. Whether over voice when I'm driving home, or whether over lunch when I just wanna browse and talk to some of you guys.

One of my fondest memories is how a conversation started about the pronunciation of "Almonds", and a few of us ended up sending voice notes over Discord. Resulting in some pretty funny conversations.

Whilst I can understand that the concern from some that the Discord may replace the Offsite & CC. I think the discord actually lets people have conversations when the cc is extremely active.

In short, I'm glad that the Discord is now officially here to stay as an extension of the cc and offsite as opposed to existing to fill a niche of PVM. It's definitely helping a lot of people stay connected to the clan despite not having the ability to play as often (See: Colpo, Sora, Swek, Iwan, and even Purp).

It's also great to see that despite having a bit more of a relaxed environment, everybody behaves and doesn't get too out of order, and once they do, its quickly dealt with. This is obv thanks to it being run so smoothly by the Admin and Mod teams.

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server Unknown
SoraSpirit
SoraSpirit

Back to top Go down

Post by DabbingBrb Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:07 am

Absolutely loving the rework! It's obvious that the staff put a ton of time and effort into this because it certainly shows. I'm excited to (hopefully) see a new influx of our clan members using the offsite and discord. As others have mentioned, it was a bit jarring at first to see this was a PVM focused clan because I hadn't really stepped into that realm yet. Luckily, it was mostly in name only as you guys welcomed and discussed everything under the sun.

Great job, and I'm excited to see where the future will take us!

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server Dabna10

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server Untitl10
DabbingBrb
DabbingBrb

Bloodhound

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Ross Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Pleasent to read through as usual Bear!

I feel discord is a great social hub for hundreds of reasons, very happy with this being a more official extension.

Also forgot about Jagex's clan system overhaul, hopefully, we get that this year.
Matt Ross
Matt Ross

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server 4068HaS

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokandur Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:02 am

"Lokandur: "Ok, makes sense, but what does this mean for me?""

I genuinely can't tell if you used the command to change the names to whoever is reading it or if you used me as an example

Back to top Go down

Post by OmniRick Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:03 am

Lokandur wrote:"Lokandur: "Ok, makes sense, but what does this mean for me?""

I genuinely can't tell if you used the command to change the names to whoever is reading it or if you used me as an example

The name changes to whoever reads it. Also I apparently downvoted your post? If so it was a mistake. Neutral
OmniRick
OmniRick

The future of the "OSRS Advice PVM" Discord Server YP5zkAJ

Ancient Sigil

Back to top Go down