Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home.

+4
EvanK-Hell
Chegolas
Syllabic
Sevelar
8 posters

Go down

Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home. Empty Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home.

Post by Sevelar Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Hi guys,

Found you on the clan forums of the RS site and you sounded like the best of the bunch!

I lived RS classic and the early goings of RS2 until around 2005-6 when I moved on to other things. I always resubbed every now and then, as watching Runescape grow was always a fun thing to witness. I've grabbed membership here and there but I always let it lapse after a couple of weeks.

I've been enjoying RS3 for the past month, I re-joined to pass the time for New World but uh....I got re-addicted to RS and haven't even bothered with New world  Very Happy

Which has now lead me onto OSRS. RS3 is a great game, but there is just so much content now it's overwhelming and everything is given to you so easily. I've been hugely conflicted with where to spend my time, but OSRS over the past few days has been a blast and I think it's the one for me deep down.

It's so cosy, and I LOVE seeing people walking around - as dumb as that sounds. RS3 almost feels like a singleplayer game out in the world. I did the waterfall quest on my account and had a dude in the chamber with me, and we chatted. Amazing.

So i'm looking for a home to chat and BS with, and to get some help along the way (hello shield of arrav!). I've never bossed or done any of the end game content as I tended to skill and sell stuff and missed a lot of content due to my RSC mentality, then RS3 hit and I was forever in the rear view mirror.

I'm from the UK, in my 30's with a boston terrier doggo who often sits in my lap while I play! And posting on a phpbb powered forum in 2021. Let the nostalgic times roll!

(I wasn't entirely sure on the full clan process other than joining guest CC and posting here - My IGN is the same as my username here and i'm online everyday pretty much)

Cheers
Sevelar
Sevelar

Back to top Go down

Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home. Empty Re: Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home.

Post by Syllabic Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:56 pm

Howdy Sevelar, good to have you!

I've been enjoying RS3 for the past month, I re-joined to pass the time for New World but uh....I got re-addicted to RS and haven't even bothered with New world

This is actually kinda funny, because I was also on the New World hype train for a while (good number of clannies still are, actually), but I played for around five days and found that it wasn't really my thing, at least not in its current state. Kinda ended up feeling like I could have been wasting time on Runescape just as effectively, along with the added bonus of it having a community that I feel much more in tune with. So yeah, it ended up being a pretty short break at the end of the day. Go figure!

I haven't played mainline RS since 2010 or so, but I hear a lot of people talking about RS3 the way you do. Sounds like there are still a lot of reasons to like it (P2W practices aside), but it doesn't sound like the game I used to love. I've logged in a couple times over the past few years, and it's hardly recognizable to me in its current state. Maybe I'll finally give it a proper look once I max, if that ever happens.

Anyway, with those tangents over with, it sounds like you'll fit in great here! Think it's safe to say that most of us stick around largely for the social side of things too Smile

Also, since you mentioned the clan process, you might wanna check out this link https://www.osrsadvice.com/t5415-how-to-best-get-promoted You've done everything you need to do to start, but if you're wanting to work towards becoming a full member (Sapphire) at some point, that's a good place to start. Just getting an invite isn't so involved, though. Focus on being your lovely self, and try to stay active in chat, and you'll get there before you know it!

Hopefully catch you around soon Pepo Hugs

P.S. Dog pics or we riot

Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home. NuD0cpJ

Tutter

Back to top Go down

Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home. Empty Re: Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home.

Post by Sevelar Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:53 am

Absolutely ^^

I finally did the legends quest on RS3 and running from the gate, my heart fluttered at the mining area just near the bears. This is where I mined coal when I first got membership in late 02-03. WOW I almost missed it and had huge flashbacks. Thieving was awesome and having this whole new area was incredible.

I'm a lazy gamer so I initially appreciated all the given lamps, 'protean' items and such. But then when I realised skills I never bothered with (summoning, dungeoneering, initially farming [before POF] were getting into the 30's I was like - this is kinda silly...

It's been a bit of a shock coming back to no lodestones, but a good friend mentioned about house teleports and the house party world, and along with various necklaces - it's been pretty seamless getting around, the house-tabs are pretty cheap so i'll always carry a stack. Doubly so when I get fairy rings online again.

There's just something immersive about seeing people in the world, walking around and skilling. It's very nice to right click humans and see that they're real, rather than just NPCs in dead areas of the game like RS3.

I would say to anyone to try out RS3, but deep down it's very nice to have no cosmetics and know that all skills are largely earned (or at least paid for with GP). They did armor dirty in RS3 - it all looks overengineerd and stupid.

The thing that stopped me from trying OSRS was the quests, but someone mentioned RuneLite's Quest Helper and WOW. An utter game changer, and how it should be in the vanilla game IMO.

As someone who grinded out most quests without the GE and Wikis (it was tip.it back in the day, or dodgy fan sites) - I'm almost enjoying questing again. At least it's very easy to bash them out.

Although now I need a Phoenix gang member for the crossbows store room Laughing
Sevelar
Sevelar

Back to top Go down

Post by Chegolas Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:51 am

Welcome back to the game! Fellow tip.it guide user here from back in the day. I hope you'll find your home here with us, we're a friendly bunch Very Happy

Sevelar wrote:
Although now I need a Phoenix gang member for the crossbows store room

As for this, try the clan chat named 'osrs soa'. You should be able to find somebody in there to help you with both Shield of Arrav and, later, Heroes' Quest.
Chegolas
Chegolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevelar Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:21 am

edit - thanks, found the chat. Will hit up some folk there.

edit 2 - found someone and made a friend along the way. I've spoken to more real people in 2 days of OSRS than my 30 days of RS3. Crazy. This is what MMOs are all about!
Sevelar
Sevelar

Back to top Go down

Post by EvanK-Hell Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:27 pm

Welcome to the clan and off site Smile
EvanK-Hell
EvanK-Hell

Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home. YP5zkAJ

Zamorak

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunny Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:02 pm

Not to toot our own horn but I'd agree we're the best of the bunch Wink lol
Welcome to the clan! Great to have you with us. Also pls post doggie pics Very Happy
Bunny
Bunny

Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home. 4068HaS

Stitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Penny Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:54 am

Sevelar wrote: posting on a phpbb powered forum in 2021. Let the nostalgic times roll!

Hahaha! Indeed Very Happy

Welcome to the clan and offsite! It's great to have you with us Very Happy I loved reading your story and I'm happy you've found your way back onto Runescape properly after all this time. I hope you find what you're looking for with us and I'm sure you will.
Penny
Penny

Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home. IIyCd

Rocky

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple Dude Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:56 am

Heya Sevelar!
Alot of us joined OSRS for the Nostalgia alone, but the community and social aspect is why most stayed around, whether the social aspect is the friends made along the way or a clan Smile
It is fun to read the different experiences you've had with OSRS vs RS3, although both are good games, they are at their core, very different, the social part being one of the very different things!

To toot our own horn a bit Wink For someone re-joining the game after so long, you have picked a good clan, we get a lot of newcomers, that either are like you that used to play back in the OLD oldschool or people who were convinced to try the game out by family members or significant others who play it xD So you are not alone! Very Happy

Introduction is basically Step 1 out of 2 for Sapphire, next step is one I have seen you ingame already working on: Being active in the chat ^_^ So I am sure, Sapphire is a matter of time Very Happy
bounce bounce

Old 2002 player hitting up OSRS for some nostalgia! Looking for a new home. NuD0cpJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybird2 Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 am

A big welcome from me too, most of my lovely clanmates have already covered the nitty gritty for you and I have seen you chat in cc. What I am loving is your fresh eye talking about seeing some of the things that made my heart sing when I first came to osrs. So many of my friends felt unable to relinquish their status on rs3 and never came here to start again. As it was I found this clan family and have been here 6 yrs or so, it gives me all the warmth and massive amount of information and friendship that makes osrs such a lovely experience, people interact, its a joy !. Have fun thats the main thing.
ladybird2

ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevelar Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks all. It seems like I was right to trust my instincts when going through the clans in the RS forums and picking you guys. \o/

As I was writing this post, I was afk in game and someone came up and chatted to me. It's so wholesome, you just don't get that in RS3 I found Smile
Sevelar
Sevelar

Back to top Go down