Movie and Show discussion!

4 posters

Go down

Movie and Show discussion! Empty Movie and Show discussion!

Post by U H TRED Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:07 am

Not sure how much interest there would be to something like this but I thought maybe we could have a thread discussing Movies and TV. What you're watching, any recommendations (where to find them), favorite movie/tv series etc.

Favorite Movie: Gladiator. It's in my opinion the perfect movie. It has amazing action scenes, drama, a brilliant script and story and the acting throughout is top notch.

Favorite TV Series AND Recommendation: The Last Kingdom (NETFLIX): Story takes place late 800s early 900s. If you've watched and enjoyed either Vikings, or Game of Thrones, I highly recommend this. You'll enjoy it. Personally I think it's better than both of them.

U H TRED
U H TRED

Movie and Show discussion! YP5zkAJ

farm

Back to top Go down

Movie and Show discussion! Empty Re: Movie and Show discussion!

Post by Penny Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Hey that sounds like a great idea. I've been watching The Sopranos while doing redwoods and fletching and it's been great. Obviously a very popular show so there's probably not a lot of people who haven't seen it, but I think it has a broad appeal. If you haven't watched it I'd definitely recommend it.

As for my favourite shows and movies. My favourite movies are Ran, Spirited Away, Children of Men, Psycho, Ikiru, Stalker, The Departed. My favourite shows are The Wire, Lost, The Simpsons, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Samurai Champloo. I guess The Sopranos will probably make that list too.

If you're looking for an action movie I'd recommend Hard-Boiled. Easily my favourite action movie. A bunch of unbelievably well choreographed scenes in that movie.
Penny
Penny

Movie and Show discussion! IIyCd

Rocky

Back to top Go down

Post by U H TRED Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:05 pm

Mowp wrote:Hey that sounds like a great idea.  I've been watching The Sopranos while doing redwoods and fletching and it's been great.  Obviously a very popular show so there's probably not a lot of people who haven't seen it, but I think it has a broad appeal.  If you haven't watched it I'd definitely recommend it.

As for my favourite shows and movies.  My favourite movies are Ran, Spirited Away, Children of Men, Psycho, Ikiru, Stalker, The Departed.  My favourite shows are The Wire, Lost, The Simpsons, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Samurai Champloo.  I guess The Sopranos will probably make that list too.

If you're looking for an action movie I'd recommend Hard-Boiled.  Easily my favourite action movie.  A bunch of unbelievably well choreographed scenes in that movie.

Sopranos is a great show and it's a good time to watch it since the prequel movie is just coming out.

Some great choices for your movies and shows, especially The Wire.

If you're talking about the movie I think you are from the early 90s with Chow-Yun Fat and directed by John Woo, yes! That was a great one.
U H TRED
U H TRED

farm

Back to top Go down

Post by RifleTactics Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:48 pm

I rented "As Good As It Gets" the other day with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. I watched it twice. It is a decent movie, and deals with some pretty heavy issues. It's not a light-hearted film, but the acting and story are pretty good. Jack won an Oscar for his role in it.

***Spoiler Alert***

I personally don't really agree with the point of the movie. It is trying to do too many things. Such as being an emotionally deep and serious film but also a light-hearted romance. The ending is happy, and I think that's where the movie went wrong. You're dragged through a lot of serious and complicated themes and then it turns into a romance flick.

The point where the story lost me was when Carol (the waitress) calls Melvin (Nicholson) after their trip to Baltimore, and apologizes for all the mean things that she said. In my opinion, this is unrealistic. People like Melvin's character don't just change on a dime like that and become capable of love so easily. Plus, their immense age difference makes it all the more implausible.

But overall, a good movie, and I recommend watching it. Especially if you like watching dysfunctional people slog their their lives!
RifleTactics
RifleTactics

Back to top Go down

Post by U H TRED Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:14 am

RifleTactics wrote:I rented "As Good As It Gets" the other day with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. I watched it twice. It is a decent movie, and deals with some pretty heavy issues. It's not a light-hearted film, but the acting and story are pretty good. Jack won an Oscar for his role in it.

***Spoiler Alert***

I personally don't really agree with the point of the movie. It is trying to do too many things. Such as being an emotionally deep and serious film but also a light-hearted romance. The ending is happy, and I think that's where the movie went wrong. You're dragged through a lot of serious and complicated themes and then it turns into a romance flick.

The point where the story lost me was when Carol (the waitress) calls Melvin (Nicholson) after their trip to Baltimore, and apologizes for all the mean things that she said. In my opinion, this is unrealistic. People like Melvin's character don't just change on a dime like that and become capable of love so easily. Plus, their immense age difference makes it all the more implausible.

But overall, a good movie, and I recommend watching it. Especially if you like watching dysfunctional people slog their their lives!

I agree with your view of the movie. It is pretty good but I agree it was very muddled and the Nicholson character while acted fantastically, wasn't going to change the way he did.
U H TRED
U H TRED

farm

Back to top Go down

Post by RifleTactics Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:32 pm

Just rented another movie. American Beauty.

I've seen this a bunch of times so there was nothing new here but I thought I'd share my thoughts. I love the theme of "look closer" because on the outside, the Burnham family seems like a normal family but as the movie progresses and the story narrows down on their individual lives, you can see that each of them are going through their own personal struggle.

This is true to life, as things are not always what they seem on the outside. It takes bravery to really get in close and examine what makes a person tick. I was truly sad about the ending (won't go into detail) because you really get close to the Lester character.

Themes of love, happiness, and feeling trapped in life pervade the movie, as does a constant reminder that lust and attraction can take many forms.

Highly recommend for anyone who hasn't seen it yet!
RifleTactics
RifleTactics

Back to top Go down

Post by U H TRED Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:37 pm

RifleTactics wrote:Just rented another movie. American Beauty.

I've seen this a bunch of times so there was nothing new here but I thought I'd share my thoughts. I love the theme of "look closer" because on the outside, the Burnham family seems like a normal family but as the movie progresses and the story narrows down on their individual lives, you can see that each of them are going through their own personal struggle.

This is true to life, as things are not always what they seem on the outside. It takes bravery to really get in close and examine what makes a person tick. I was truly sad about the ending (won't go into detail) because you really get close to the Lester character.

Themes of love, happiness, and feeling trapped in life pervade the movie, as does a constant reminder that lust and attraction can take many forms.

Highly recommend for anyone who hasn't seen it yet!

Somehow this is one that I haven't seen yet. I've just never been a huge Spacey fan (even before he was deservedly blacklisted) so that is probably why. It's on my list of movies to still watch this year.

I'm watching a personal favorite of mine tonight, Sicario. Such an amazing movie that while it has flaws, it is an absolute masterpiece. The acting is amazing (Benecio Del Toro and Emily Blunt especially) This is a movie that if you like to be in suspense or on the edge of your seat, you need to watch.
U H TRED
U H TRED

farm

Back to top Go down

Post by RifleTactics Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:26 pm

Watched another movie a couple times. This one was called "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" starring Jack Nicholson (he won an Oscar for this role).

The movie is shocking and very interesting. It explores what it was like in a mental institution several decades ago. The practices back then were barbaric by today's standards. The whole point of the movie is answering the question, "does McMurphy have a mental illness?".

Unfortunately for our main character, it ends badly. I won't go into detail, but for whatever reason he just ran into roadblocks within the system.

Another interesting question, I found, was wondering if Nurse Ratched was a good character or a bad one. She was just doing her job, but she is the arch nemesis of McMurphy. She is very strict, but perhaps that is what was needed to get through to the various patients on the ward?

Anyway, I highly recommend this movie. It was interesting throughout, and you actually feel very strongly about some of the characters.
RifleTactics
RifleTactics

Back to top Go down

Post by RifleTactics Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:22 pm

I saw a very interesting movie that deserves special mention. It is called "Spirited Away".

It is an anime feature, and completely amazing. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend. It takes you out of your life and into a magical universe. The lessons the main character learn are bravery, friendship and love.

Next, I am going to watch "Princess Mononoke", which is by the same studio. Also a great movie...
RifleTactics
RifleTactics

Back to top Go down

Post by 7josh Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:59 pm

RifleTactics wrote:I saw a very interesting movie that deserves special mention. It is called "Spirited Away".

It is an anime feature, and completely amazing. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend. It takes you out of your life and into a magical universe. The lessons the main character learn are bravery, friendship and love.

Next, I am going to watch "Princess Mononoke", which is by the same studio. Also a great movie...

Studio Ghibli is awsome, If you like older japanese films with a cult following check out "Battle Royale".

I just watched the latest "Tomb Raider" movie, As I've been playing the latest game too.

Can anyone recommend any decent Tv shows?
I like to watch while I grind.
7josh
7josh

Back to top Go down